What is MyCulture?
MyCulture is a culture assessment tool created by Happily.ai, an employee experience platform that drives transformation using analytics and people science. Happily released MyCulture to provide companies with science-backed assessments tailored to suit the company’s culture and values.
This article provides a walkthrough of how to use MyCulture.
How to use MyCulture?
After signing up and creating an account with MyCulture, you are able to create an assessment. There are four steps in creating an assessment.
Step 1. Naming the Assessment and selecting who you are creating the assessment for.
Are you using this culture assessment tool to assess culture fit for new hires?
Are you using MyCulture to assess the cultural fit of your current team members?
Or is it for some potential hiring candidates that you have shortlisted but remain unsure if they will fit with your organizational culture and norms? For this example, let’s assume a mid-sized, B2B company wants to utilize MyCulture to assess culture fit for hiring candidates.
Step 2. Selecting sections you want to test for
What areas of culture fit do you want to evaluate as part of your hiring decision?MyCulture allows you to assess the following:
- Values and Traits - This section analyzes the overlap between values and traits that a candidate most identifies with and what the company selects as most important. Common Values and Traits include: Respect, Humility, Hard-working, Empathetic, Perseverance and more. If a candidate's Values and Traits align with the company’s, it gives HR and Hiring Managers more confidence that the candidate will be a successful hire. This reduces the risk and cost of turnover.
- Culture Profile - This section uses the a competing values framework based on the Organizational Culture Assessment Instrument (OCAI) to analyze the match between the candidate’s and company’s ideal organization. The 4 archetypes, Collaborate, Control, Create and Compete, are assessed across six-dimensions of work.
- Acceptable behaviors - This section tests and analyzes what the candidate deems as “acceptable behavior” in the workplace. The following is an example - How does the candidate feel about “Frequently showing up late to meetings” or “Submitting work late without communication or warning”? Is this behavior Acceptable, Frowned Upon, Discouraged, Reprimanded or has a Zero-tolerance policy?
Uncover gaps in alignment between acceptable and unacceptable behaviors to confront them proactively to eliminate toxic behaviors. You don’t want to hear a candidate say “well I could do that in my previous job” or “my last manager didn’t mind that”.
- Work-Style Identifier - This section helps companies identify the natural working style of the candidate using a unique “3P framework: People, Product or Process”. Understanding a candidate’s dominant work style can help with team dynamics and ensure diversity . Here’s the differences between the 3P’s:
- Product- Are the candidates doers and executors? Are they driven by generating results?
- Process - Are the candidates thinkers and learners? Is their strength in being analytical and thorough?
- People - Are they relationship builders? Do they understand their coworkers and peers and know how to get the best out of them?
These are broken down into percentages: To what extent is the candidate a Product, People or Process person?
Step 3: Defining your work culture
Once you’ve selected the sections you want to test for, it’s time to set up your company’s value & traits, culture profile, and acceptable behaviors. Here is an example of how MyCulture helps you in defining your company values and culture profile. Fill out this section to reflect your company’s unique culture.
Step 4: Review and Publish
You have successfully created a cultural assessment, tailored to your organization, that you can send out to your new hires, potential hiring candidates, or even your own team members!
Now, you can send out invites to candidates to take the assessment you've just put together.
Here’s an example of a candidate who has completed the assessment and how you’ll be able to assess fit. MyCulture provides a number out of 100% to make it quantifiable and easy to assess cultural fit.
As can be seen from the example above, the candidate has an 86% fit with the company’s values and traits, 81% fit based on culture profile and 73% fit with acceptable behaviors. The Hiring Manager or HR may take this opportunity to address some acceptable behaviors within their organization before hiring the candidate so as to reassure the candidate of relevant acceptable behaviors. Furthermore, the culture profile can also be analyzed in more detail:
- How does the candidate relate to the leadership style at the company?
- How does the candidate relate to the management style?
- What’s the overlap between what the candidate wants the organization to emphasize and your organization’s strategic emphasis?
These factors are very relevant and valuable insights to have for Hiring Managers or companies who want to:
- Decrease turnover rate
- Increase employee engagement
- Decrease Hiring costs
- Create a healthy, collaborative work culture